On Wednesday we all took the day off work (my mom had violet, that's my "work".. THANKS MOM) and went skiing. We are so lucky that the seirras it is only an hour and a half away from us.
Jake and I have been trying to plan this trip with our friend Allie (I've known Allie since I was 12) for a long time, and my mom was gracious enough to take the day off work so we could avoid the weekend traffic at the lifts.
Talk about perfect day there was no one there, the weather was warm, and I was with two of my favorite people.
Did I mention I have never skied before?
Jake snowboards and since I have zero interest in boarding, Allie was the perfect person to have along to show me the ropes. We played soccer together in high school and understand each others imperative need for physical perfection and extreme competition. There are few people in this world I can take critique from, Jake (obviously) and Allie is definitely on that list. There is a certain ease I have with Allie, like I have with few people. Maybe that's just trust.
Jake snowboards and since I have zero interest in boarding, Allie was the perfect person to have along to show me the ropes. We played soccer together in high school and understand each others imperative need for physical perfection and extreme competition. There are few people in this world I can take critique from, Jake (obviously) and Allie is definitely on that list. There is a certain ease I have with Allie, like I have with few people. Maybe that's just trust.
We started out of course on bunny hill. lame. I went twice and decided I was ready for bigger and better things.
Maybe I should have gone down a few more times... maybe not.
The first run down academy was ROUGH.
Starting with:
me falling out of the chair (allie laughing hysterically)
Our intermission was:
me becoming really angry I wasn't the perfect down hill skier, taking off my skis and throwing them as far as I could. Along with a few choice words about how I hate little kids that are better than me (seriously there was this on 8 year old in pink board pants that I swear was around every time I ate it)
Ending with:
Deciding I couldn't go on another run until I consumed large amounts of carbs and protein (we took a break and ate lunch.
After lunch Jake and Allie went up the hill alone and I stayed back to take a mental break and gather myself together. Jake and Allie had nice things to say about my first run. They both were impressed how well I did, but I coudn't hear past that. I wanted to do it RIGHT.
When they came back we all got on the lift again, Allie and I talked extensively about how NOT to fall off the chair this time, the time came, Stand up, point your skis down, dig your poles in.. my poles.. my poles? WHO IS TUGGING AT MY POLES??? it turns out ALLIE is grabbing MY pole and this has some how turned into a tug of war competition.
Next thing I know I'm in the snow face first my skis are askew (literally they somehow got off of my boots) and allie is laughing hysterically.
Rough start to the second run.
Dispite the rough start, my second run was GLORIOUS. I only fell once, and I didn't curse under my breath at any little kids..
For some reason, I just got it.
And now, I am a ski junky.
Can't wait to do it again.
Here I am, on the second run, falling on my face . It actually felt worse than it looks. And Jake has become such a dad narrating the event :)


Oh, gosh! I haven't tried skiing since I was about 10! I was horrible, and ate it every time. Not as beautifully as you though - I'm talking busting ass, skis flying off into the distance and body rolling the whole way down since I couldn't stop myself. I don't know how I didn't die. My dad says "Snow Blades" or something like that - are easier to use. shorter than skis. I'm still too scared to give it another shot though - maybe some day. :) I'm glad you had a good time though!
ReplyDeleteKristina you post made laugh...out loud none the less . I'm positive I had falls like that the first time down the hill. I think there might have even been a tree involved. You should try it again! I saw those "snow blades" and I wish I had them. The definitely look a lot easier to use.
ReplyDeleteawesome!
ReplyDeletewoah! skiing is SO hard, much harder than snowboarding. i mean there are four times as many things to hit you in the head when you fall! plus, i'm extremely uncoordinated and i can't really manage having two long boards attached to my feet. so good for you!!
ReplyDeleteYou are so brave! I have never been skiing before and would love to try it but I don't know if 26 is too late to master a new skill (please bear in mind that I was born with zero coordination skills).
ReplyDeleteI feel you, I hate winter and only skied one time in my life (grade 8) and avoid it like the plague. From the video, you did good for someone who never skied before.
ReplyDeletekim, snowboarding seems so much harder to me! sideways down a mountain. No thanks! Jake has been snowboarding for years and wont touch skis, I guess its all about perspective.
ReplyDeleteM, I'm almost 27 and this was my first time skiing, its never too late!
Huda, I am NOT a winter person. That's why skiing in california is perfect. I would have been out there with a T shirt and been perfectly happy. By the way, do you have a blog? I'd love to take a look :)
hey Kathleen, I'm working on my blog and will make it public probably @ the end of the year.
ReplyDelete