Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pink Majesty in the Spring.

Spring seems to be here. Was it even winter? Here in California we are in a severe drought. We finally had our first rainfall sometime in January and it was the first since October. It's been unseasonably warm, all winter, and while I usually celebrate the warmth of spring I wonder if such dryness will make our summers even more smoldering than they already are.

Even still, I am thankful for the longer days that are sneaking up on us. I see bits of growth in my yard here and there. When we first moved into our house nearly two years ago we planted a pink tulip tree along with three fruit (nectarine,apricot and plum) trees and a jacaranda. Last year none of our trees blossomed and I was convinced the nasty frost got to them.


Needless to say I was elated when I walked out side this week and found these beautiful little buds on our pink tulip tree, waiting just waiting to flourish into pink majesty; when she's ready, of course :)

Nearly all of my "free time" has been spent studying. 
I am thankful Violet still takes a two hour nap otherwise I don't know what I would do. Graduate school is such a different experience for me, compared to undergraduate. 
Six years ago all I wanted to do is get out of school so I packed my schedule 21 units in ONE semester WHILE working 25 hours a week. I'm not sure how I made it though with decent grades but I did. 
Now, well it's quite different. I am taking 6 units, and taking my time. Absorbing, reading, studying, writing. 
I love it. I love school.
I am etnerally thankful for the way things have worked out thus far. I am in class two days a week, and the rest I am able to be home with Violet,
I have a complete sense of peace knowing I am supposed to be where I am. 


We've been keeping busy preparing for our spring/summer garden.  Unfortunately our winter garden wasn't as prolific as last year. We planted late, and not from seed at that ( I have a thing with seedlings bought from the store). I think I have given up on planting carrots and brussel sprouts. 
Winter gardens aren't nearly as fun anyway.


Violet helped me plant the seeds this year. I love showing her the good things of life. When we go to Aunt Ani's house to collect some eggs we thank the chickens. "Thank you chickens for the eggs, we promise to enjoy them." 



She truly is is blossoming into such a sweet little girl. Yes, a  little girl. I ask her if she will be my baby forever, and she replies, "No Mommy I'm a toddler forever ok?" 
There is no rest when she is up, we are constantly on the go, whether we are painting, planting, building forts, cooking together. 
It's so nice to have her by my side. 

That's all for now. It's getting harder for me to spend time on blogger like I used to. I get insane amounts of guilt if I am doing anything but reading when the house is finally quiet. Except for yoga, there is always time for that.Leaving you with this sweet little video I found on tumblr. I have to find a cat as awesome as this one. Enjoy friends. 
I'll be around


4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen, I am so happy to read that you enjoy your studies and doing so well! :) Have a great spring and a lot of happy moments together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My winter garden is still producing. I can't believe it. My carrots didn't do so well either. I have tons of broccoli, cauliflower & beets, though.

    Miss your posts. Glad you're enjoying school & your time with little V. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Johi, you are always so sweet and encouraging :)

    Hollie, stop bragging! ;) our broccoli is doing well too. I really wanted to plant cauliflower but we planted so late int he season we couldn't find any. Did you end up finding good recipes for your cauliflower? I saw one on pinterest it was a pizza and the "dough" was mashed cauliflower. I'll try and find it again and send it to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous you have a tulip tree!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS