I come from a long legacy of story telling.
To Armenians (and I'd say middle eastern people in general) story telling is one of the fundamental parts of their culture. My Grandpa passed the gift of story telling down to my Dad (also found here & here).
Now it's my turn to tell the stories from my childhood to Violet.
As on ode to the classic, "When I was your age we walked 17 miles to school in the snow, up hill, carrying 25 lb back packs..."
I figure this might be a good place to start.
![]() |
| Your Dad is embarrassing you? When I was your age my dad wore his shirt as a hat. And not just at the beach, any place that was over 80 degrees. |
![]() |
| You want a new dress for a party you are going to? When I was your age, I would go to 1950's theme birthday parties in my acid wash hand-me-down jeans. |
![]() |
| Your friends are making fun of you? When I was your age I didn't have any friends, I had to make fun of myself. |
![]() |
| You're embarrassed at your Mom and Dad's outfits? When I was your age my parents were known for their impersonation of Sonny and Cher, IN DRAG. |
![]() |
| Don't you complain to me about having too many chores young, lady. I cooked my parents meals and did the dishes after all before I was in preschool. |








buddy's!!
ReplyDelete:) So funny! The pictures are so sweet! Especcially the last one! :)
ReplyDeletethis cracked me up. Emma won't get much sympathy from me either.. she already has it a thousand times better than I ever did.
ReplyDeleteADORABLE! I wish you could hear my enthusiasm!
ReplyDeleteso funny and so true. my mother still has bright orange hair which totally embarrasses me. her hair is black which she bleaches. :)
ReplyDeleteOH MY, this is awesome! I can't wait to tell Avery stories. But I have nothing on Sonny and Cher in drag.
ReplyDeletethat is awesome! thanks for the laugh. but look how well you turned out... :)
ReplyDeletehahaha!!! this is pretty awesome. your parents were probably mortified by their parents and took it out on you, and now it's your turn to mortify violet. muah-ha-ha!
ReplyDeleteThe "Anonymous" comment was me, I had more to say but clearly my blackberry wasn't having it.
ReplyDelete1. I also had a 101 dalmations outfit. I wore it loud and proud. According to my wardrobe at that time, I was also really into Oliver & Company.
2. I'm waiting for work to permit us to wear our shirts as hats so I feel more natural. But I call it 'long shirt hair' instead of a hat.
My work here is done. :)
haha this is cute! Growing up it didn't seem to be that bad though, you had Sonny and Cher as parents!
ReplyDeleteCrystle, that is the truth about my dad at the shirt hat. yosemite trips, trips to oregon, washington, pismo, if my dad was perspiring his shirt would become his hat.
ReplyDeletei hope your work will see the benefit in this as well ;)
Cute! The picture of you washing dishes is adorable! The shirt/hat made me smile. And the personification of drag Cher too haha.
ReplyDeleteHave a great week :)
Hahaha I love this!! My Dad was and still is the same way..I was always saying "Daaaaad you are SOO embarrasing." But now I actually think he is cool ;) Love all these pictures totally made me smile
ReplyDeleteLol awesome post!
ReplyDeleteLoL You make me laugh! So sweet.
ReplyDeleteI think the acid wash jeans are pretty chic ;)
ReplyDeletecomments:
ReplyDelete1. I HAD NO FRIENDS EITHER!
2. Your parents are my fave.
3. I had 2 pet pigeons.
4. my dad made me wear my shirt like that with him.
hahaha, your dad must have been quite a fun person to have...even thou as a kid you probably felt embarrassed.
ReplyDeleteI agree, our cultures has a strong oral history and tradition. Its how history more often was preserved and only written by few scholars.