We are proud to introduce the newest member of our household.
We call him "fishy".
(I like to call him toorshi, which means pickle )
We love him so much, we even want to share our milk with him.
****************
Also, please meet Maggie.
She is our new, re-appropriated Magnavox console record player.
I found on craigslist and fell in love. hard.
$59??? How can you go wrong?
The only problem was that she was located near San Luis Opisbo which is neither a hop, skip or jump away from my house.
In fact its about 2 hours away.
LUCKILY my brother conveniently lives in San Luis.
So after begging the owner to hold it for a couple days, incesant phone calls, emails and text messages to my brother, bargaining and pleading he borrow his roommates truck after class one day to pick it up.
After that I convinced my sister in law, Hillary (who happened to be in S.L.O) to pick up the record player take it back with her to Shafter.
On our way home from LA last weekend, we stopped in shafter and shoved Maggie (she barley fit) into Stephan our Tiguan and took her home
After a two city trek, she was mine
My dad, an avid collector/critic of music (not to mention published writer) passed down all his original records
There is nothing like the snap crackle and pop of vinyl, we've been enjoying it all week.
oh, and the fish is nice too... :)




wow!! what a story! but i can see why you (and your fam) went through all the work. what a gorgeous console, and for only $60! that's an amazing steal. i love records and i it's one of my dreams to have one of these consoles some day. dream...
ReplyDeletealso, welcome little fishy!
kim, it was a steal. it's just wrong.. 59 dollars?!?!?! i just cant get over it! I found ones (not as pretty ones I might add) for over 200!
ReplyDeleteohhh!! I love it! Does it sound good?
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that was only $60!! I've been looking for one for awhile now on cl but nothing affordable and in good shape. Lucky!!
ReplyDeleteI eat so many cucumbers during summer, so I would love some seeds!
I love both your new additions! The record console is beautiful and your family are amazing for playing their role in getting it to you. We have recently bought a record cabinet (designed to hold records but just with a space on the surface where the player sits) - we use it as a TV table!
ReplyDeletewhat a great find! I still have vinyl records from my childhood. (when we were growing up, every year for our birthday my parents would get each of my sisters a vinyl record)It would be fun to be able to play them for my daughter.
ReplyDeleteHow cute that your daughter has a pet. Looks like she likes her fishy.
Ps. I didn't know apricots where originally from Armenia. So do you have fruit trees in your backyard?
Elisa, it was crazy listening to all my dad's records for the first time. I hadn't heard them in over 15-20 years? Some stuff was very familiar, other I thought I didn't know but I ending up knowing every word. Very nostalgic.
ReplyDeletewe DO have fruit trees. Apricot (of course), Pomegranate, nectarine, plum and a miniature lemon with orange grafted on it...
Apricots and pomegranates are iconic to armenians, we hold a lot of sentiment to both fruit. Where did you you hear apricots were from armenia? just wondering :)
scientific name Prunus armeniaca
ReplyDeletethanks brother.
ReplyDeletehaha cute! a goldfish was my first pet and i remember watching it swim for hours :)
ReplyDeletelol, love the Magnavox console record player. It brings back good childhood memories.
ReplyDeleteOoo! I LOVE this and holy cow, what a steal!! I love the story behind it!
ReplyDeleteOne of my best friends scored a console record player similar to this and revamped it, it turned out really cool!
http://paperlilley.blogspot.com/2010/04/revamped-v2.html :)
WOW she did a great job! Can she redo mine?? :)
ReplyDelete