I had a conversation with a friend about how spring weather makes you feel like anything is possible. You're not restrained by the heat, or kept inside by the cold.
Spring brings new life in so many different ways.
Since the sun has been gracing us with its presence, we've had the chance to sit quietly in our backyard. Which helps me prepare for the hustle and bustle of the busy weekend ahead of us.
Jake's family coming into town for the MCC relief sale which is an annual auction/ food bizarre to help raise money to those who are in need around the world.
Even though I did not grow up Mennonite (although my dad has often threated joining the Mennonite Church as a political stance against war... all talk dad) since I grew up down the street from a Mennonite College, we always went to enjoy the food and the beautifully auctioned off quilts.
I can't help it, I picture quilt makers like this EVERY. TIME.
Jake is, however, ethnically Mennonite.
I guess if he was true to his roots he'd look something like this
Then again,
I'd look something like this...
Which makes Violet an...
Armennonite?
Anyway, Jake and his cousin John-Mark volunteered to make and run the Borscht booth this year, so starting to night we are slicing and dicing our way through cabbage, carrots, potatoes, celery and onions in hopes for happy bellies full of semi traditional Mennonite cuisine! ( they sell really good tacos too)
Back soon with pictures and details to follow!






aw, violet is so cute in her bonnet. i am completely fascinated by the smaller cultures that live within the US, like mennonites. i grew up in a smaller religion/culture and people had a lot of incorrect perceptions about it. because of that, i've tried to learn as genuinely as possible, what it's like for people in cultures that seem unusual to other americans. and i think it's so cool that violet is going to grow up learning about several cultures within her own family. although, i'm not sure i would want to be around so much borscht if i were her! :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that picture of Violet. And your new header is super cute! Did you draw it? The picture of the Mennonite women are kind of scary. They remind me of photos from a book of the dead. :\
ReplyDeletea funny and kind of related story: I have an estranged sibling, that I haven't talked to in years, and she was dating this guy who did some work for a community of Mennonites. They got wind that he was associating with her and ousted him from their little community. LOL
haha!! HOLLIE those are Armenian women :)
ReplyDeleteand no i didn't draw it, i bought this print on etsy,and put it in violets room
ReplyDeletehttp://www.etsy.com/people/shirae
LOL! Oopsie. I was thinking those are some elaborate Mennonite ladies! haha. I really like her prints!
ReplyDeletebeautifulllll. !
ReplyDeleteAww, that picture of your daughter is so sweet! I can't wait to see the pictures from this weekend! It sounds so interesting!
ReplyDeleteWow- these photos are absolutely incredible. My favorites are the second one and the very last. You really have a talent- I can't wait to come back and read some more.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
Meri
merigoesround.blogspot.com
Haha, so adorable. :)
ReplyDeleteI wish Spring would stop taking it's sweet-slow time and melt this snow already!!
How funny! And I love what you wrote about Spring. So true. :) I hope you guys had a great weekend!
ReplyDelete