Since Shafter is half way between our house and LAX we decided to cut two hours off our driving time and spend the night at Jake's dad's house, wake up the next morning and trek to the airport. I can't tell you how many hundreds of time we have made the journey to shafter with Violet. Usually she just sleeps off the trip, but this time.. THIS time... the case was much different. Maybe it was because tensions were high between Jake and I trying to pack. Maybe she woke up on the wrong side of the crib. Either way, this is what we experienced for 2 hours in the car:
(readers beware it is not easy on the ear)
Day 2: Timeliness is Godliness (?)
Off to LAX, and due to our over planning we arrive 4 hours early. I know they say early is better than late, especially when flying international, but really. 4 hours with a child who doesn't walk, wants to crawl on the dirty filthy nasty airport floor is nearly unbearable. Anyway after 4 hours of walking circles in the airport in the stroller we are finally on board. Remember how Violet screamed for 2 hours in the car on the way to Shafter? Well, she screamed again for 3 hours on the plane, the entirety of the trip. And guess what she did when we landed. Yup, you guessed it. She knocked right out.
Day 3: Lake Louise or BUST
We took a trip that morning to Lake Louise. The last place I wanted to be was in a car, but this trip was definitely worth it. I have never experienced cold like this before. I layered and layered and layered like all my cold weather friends had encouraged and STILL my legs were numb. But I got to stand on a frozen lake with and ice castle on it. Totally worth it.
Day 4: Sled day at Auntie Anne's
Jake's Aunt Anne and her husband Gary live on gorgeous acreage near Calgary and board horses for a living. They have 4 kids and 11 grand children. Since everyone is so spread out Christmas is of the few times a year EVERYONE is together.
We spent the day opening gifts, eating mass amounts of yummy food, catching up on lost time, whispering to horses, and sliding (or falling) down hills.
Day 5: New Years Eve
Jake, Violet, and I spent the day quarantined from the rest of the family due to the stomach flu. We ended up watching Date Night, eating popcorn and going to bed before 12 am. Very romantic. Be jealous.
Day 6: A walk in the park and Kroger Christmas
After the stomach flu episode (I'm sad to say that wasn't the end of it) we met up with everyone at Fish Creek park for a winter stroll.
![]() |
We were greeted by Jake's Opa (this mean Grandpa in German) whom we hadn't seen yet. It was the first time he met Violet. Their first encounter was priceless, one of my favorite moments of the trip. The irony of it all is that Violet got to meet her great grandfather (I never knew any of my great grandparents) but not her paternal grandmother. This is partly why our trip to Canada is so important. None of Jake's mom's side of the family lives in the United States. We want Violet to know all dimensions of her heritage and a large part of that lies in Canada.
Day 7: Trek to Coaldale
We were feeling pretty bad that we missed a whole night of "togetherness" with the Canadian relatives (whom we barely see once a year). So we decided to make a 2.5 to Coaldale to visit Jake's cousin Bonnie her husband mark and their three boys Ben, Elias and Solomon.
Day 7: Visit with Opa and dinner at Auntie Mary's
On our way back from Coaldale we dropped by Opa's and had a briefing on family history via photographs. There was no time to mingle, we had to be at Auntie Mary's for dinner; we quickly got in the car and was greeted with delicious Lasagna and the US vs. Canada Junior hockey game (I'm sorry to say, I didn't get any pictures at Marys)
Day 8: Back on the farm with Uncle Gary and Auntie Anne (followed by a night of the stomach flu round deux!)
That night, Violet was up until about 12am throwing up and I was lain in bed with the chills. Jake and Auntie Anne manned the ship and all was well.
Day 9: Back to California
I was dreading the plane ride home. I had been up all night feeling with the flu, not to mention a vomiting child. Thankfully the Gravol kicked in and Violet was sound asleep.
Oh, Canada
your our home away from home
until we meet again























I'm in love with all of these pictures! Esp the horse whispering one of you. So cute. Glad you guys had a good trip, aside from being sick!
ReplyDeletethat looked like such a magical time. your photos are GORGEOUS!! although, i'm sorry you all got so sick. :( i think extreme cold + traveling + stress of traveling/the holidays always makes a person sick. at least it does for me.
ReplyDeletei hope you are all feeling a lot better now!
violet it hilarious in all those bundles! and the blonde girl in that last 'Day 4' is SUCH a beautiful child! all these pictures are so great, kathleen.
ReplyDeletewhen i was a baby and my mom had to take me with her to travel, she'd just put a little something on my gums so i'd sleep. a lil whiskey ne'er hurt nah-budy : )
yummm that beautiful blonde girl looks like YOU my dear! don't you think??
ReplyDeleteHi Kathleen! Thanks for visiting my blog! I am actually an Albertan who is married to an American! He was born in Fresno, CA but grew up in Pittsburgh. I've been in Alberta my whole life and now we are making a little life of our own in Calgary (so far, maybe we will move someday).
ReplyDeleteI love your photos! I hope you had a great trip here!
I'm following you now too :)
oh, and yes, he is Armenian too! :D
ReplyDeleteYou are from Fresno!? That is amazing, very small world! I know my husband (his name is Joe) wasn't there for too long (a few years) but his dad's side of the family is still kicking around California.
ReplyDeleteI have been getting a few messages from Armenian's due to my last name and it has been so nice! And if you married an Albertan? We are pretty much related for sure! :D
Hello! I thought I would introduce myself since I have just started following your blog. I stumbled across you through someone else's blog (I'm sorry, I can't remember who) and thought I might stick around... I hope you don't mind? I love your photography and the sense of family your blog radiates. M x
ReplyDeleteMarfio, hi and welcome! Get comfy and stay as long as you'd like. :) So glad you decided to decided to stick around
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, how have I NOT seen this post?! I discovered it in the linkwithin widget (those things rock!)
ReplyDeleteIt makes me beyond happy seeing other people's photo's of here. It`s like my own memories aren`t enough, I have to absorb everyone else`s! haha