Thursday, November 18, 2010

Conversations with Grandma.

A typical conversation I have with my 86 year old Grandma:


Grandma: Do you cook Armenian food for Jake?

Me: Yes Grandma, I cook Armenian food for Jake.

Grandma: Well... what did you cook last night?

Me: We had Thai peanut chicken.

Grandma: What? (she puts her hand to her ear like she didn't hear me.

Me: (retracting my previous statement) We had cabbage dolma (saying it louder.)

Grandma: nods her head slowly in approval.

Grandma: You know, (classic statement made by my Grandma) these Americans (also a classic statement) make too many dishes for dinner.  Armenians are smart and they put everything into one dish. Like dolma: meat, rice, vegetables. Just one dish!

Me: nodding my slowly in approval.

Grandma writing her grocery list for me.

A second typical conversation I have with my 86 year old Grandma.



Grandma: I have moose tracks ice cream, shall i get some out (she speaks PROPER English).

Me: No, that's ok Grandma.

Grandma: Well (another classic statement), why not?

Me: I don't want to eat too many sweets, they aren't good for you.

Grandma: You know... when I got married I weighed ninety-five (said in an Armenian rhythmic sort of way) pounds!

Me: Wow Grandma, you were skinny!

Grandma: Well... How much do weigh?

Me: More than 95 lbs Grandma!

Grandma: Where does it go? (meaning where is my weight on my body)

Silence.....

Grandma: Shall I get you some ice cream?...

Me: Yes. (giving in)







12 comments:

  1. Grandmas are the best. Bryan's Grandma is here visiting and yesterday she kept insisting that I have a cookie after lunch. And then crackers for a snack. Who can tell a Grandma no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously. i try and refuse ice cream every single time and always end up eating it anyway! Is bryan's grandma greek?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well...turn up your nose!

    I love this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey i forgot the part when grandma asked how much you weigh and then makes a (meh meh) face . how come she never asks how much greg weighs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I was on my blogger dashboard and saw the pic of your grandma and forgot that you have a blog for a second and thought, "Hey, why is there a picture of Yevnige Auntie on the internet???" lol aww, I love your grandma :) So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. One of my favorite meals in the entire world is cabbage dolma but my mom doesn't make it anymore (donno why). SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gareen that's so funny! MY grandma always tells me she has a computer (it's the same one i would play Oregon Trail on back in 1992) . I actually DID make cabbage dolma about a month ago. I really miss sini kufta and madzoon ov kufta NO ONE MAKES IT ANY MORE. sigh. let's get together and cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. we should try to make madzoon ov kufta! It is SO good!

    Also Grandma once looked at my toenails and made the meh meh face and said, "welll you did not get those from my side."

    ReplyDelete
  9. lucky you didn't get the toes form grandma's side

    ReplyDelete
  10. your grandma is just trying to fatten you up. what is funny is that yesterday when i went to my great grandma's she was upset because she doesn't have a place to bake in the assisted living facility she is in now, and she wishes she had made a cake for us, but she still insisted i eat a popsicle, and i just couldn't say NO.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah Katie- I think they know they have some sort of leverage on us. :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet! Grandmas are the best. I loved reading both conversations.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS