Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dearest Gretta,

 [this post took me about a week to finish because I wasn't sure if I wanted people to know my attachment to... well... a car]

When was little, I used to give anthropomorphic characteristics to my belongings. Not teddy bears, dolls, toys, but clothing and shoes. I remember getting a new pair of pink converse high tops with dinosaurs on them and feeling some what conflicted that I was leaving my old shoes in the dust (puns are fun). I remember thinking, "don't worry old shoes, I still like you, I'll still wear you. I wont forget about you." I had a crazy unexplained GUILT for having something new, and leaving my old belongings out. This is manifested into my late twenties. Which is why I have written a letter to my late Jetta, Gretta.









Am I crazy because I got teary eyed when Jake drove off with the jetta for the last time? Maybe it's not the Jetta itself,but all the memories tied to her. Maybe getting rid of Gretta makes the past, just that. The past. Gretta had so many miles on her we had to really push the dealership to take her in. All the miles are the many trips, and events of our live the past three years.

It's been a good three years.

Thanks Gretta, I'll never forget you.

p.s. i'm sorry i threw up in you on the way to LAX that one time. At least I had a bag.

9 comments:

  1. oh my, this is why I like you so much. I had anxiety attacks as a child when I had to get rid of old clothes and shoes. I would silently cry myself to sleep thinking about the last time I got to wear them. haha. I still kinda struggle with it, but I'm getting better. I just got rid of a trashbag full of clothes I haven't worn in forever, that I was emotionally attached to. - I too have a jetta that is about to go the way of the dodo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever watched hoarders? It makes me feel better about myself :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes!! Sadly, my Grandfather was a hoarder.. just like on the show, so I could never let it get to that point. Once a month I go thru the house and get rid of everything I haven't used in the last 30 days. My weak spot is clothes & shoes, though. :\

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should sell this as a commercial to Voltswagen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the license plates I remember. You are 5 slower 228. Derek's car was, Dixie 457 (DXZ457). I have a friend who drives the ARK 852. I love that one. And is it creepy that I don't think the manly things in the country are odd? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are preaching to the choir over here...I think I cried when I traded in my first car to the dealership. So did Lori when she gave her first car away. It's OK to get attached to inanimate objects and feel like you're abandoning them in vain. They still love you!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog, and this post made me laugh! haha I totally understand you! It was hard for me to get rid of Jimmy, my gmc jimmy from college. We made a lot of memories together :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi amber, welcome! :] i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one so attached to my vehicle. I drove by the dealership (NOT on purpose) and saw gretta sitting there... lonely and maybe a little cold, secretly hoping she didn't see with someone else . HA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see Gareen beat me to it! Is it completely ridiculous that I cried when I read this post? Don't answer that. When I totaled my first car (It was a ding! Stupid insurance company!), I cried at the thought of my loved one sitting in a cold, empty, parking lot, where it was probably feeling unloved and abandoned, like all it was was sheets of metal stuck together. A little dramatic???? I'm thinking I have attachment issues...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS